Friday, May 27, 2005

SP5..or Vickery Examines Her Life As A Knitter

So, even though I just started this blog yesterday, I've requested to be a part of Secret Pal 5. Who knows if I even signed up right but lets just say that I did and even if I didn't, I had fun filling out the questions. It was a deep self-examination. Here goes:

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
Snob snob snob. I’ve never even knit with Red Heart. I touch it and it feels icky to me. I started knitting with Manos and you just can’t go acrylic after Manos!
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I would love to get a drop spindle and learn how to spin, but for now, I do neither.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Nope. I’m a lucky girl.
4. How long have you been knitting?
2 years baby!
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope, but maybe I should start one…hmmm.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Gardinia, citrus, jasmine…I also secretly like patouli but that can be our secret pal o’ mine.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yup. No doubt about it! Chocolate calls to me late at night.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I would love to get a bit into beading and make some stitch markers. I also paint with watercolors a bit.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Mostly chick rockers but also bands like The Shins and White Stripes. I love my MP3 player, no doubt.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love that kind of antiqued seafoam green. Sort of like an old glass bottle or french tile. I love it. Also another good example: the most recent cover of Interweave Knits—Summer 2005. I love the layout and color scheme! My colors exactly. (Also see previous post where I only have picture and a caption because I hadn't yet figured out the complicated picture/post combo.)
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Just my DH and I. We’re Dinks all the way. Not even a fish. Although I do have a wisteria tree on my balcony and a few succulents. We’re thinking of nameing them. Does that count?
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To move back to my home state of Wyoming and have a cool house and my own business and lots of fun.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Rowan, Koigu, Manos, also I like Lamb’s Pride for felting.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Acrylic. I’m also not very into novelty yarns unless they’re very spectacular. The closest thing to novelty that I knit is ribbon for tank tops.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I really want to get my hands on some cool Lorna’s Laces, for socks, sweaters, anything. I’ve been seeing the way it knits up on some of the blogs I read and it seems so beautiful and fun! I’ve been coveting Lorna’s Laces for awhile! I also recently purchased a needle felting kit so I'm going to have to dig into that very, very soon.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Bags, purses. I just finished Unbiased in the recycled sari yarn and a buttonhole bag and a cable sampler purse. I love them bags!
17. What are you knitting right now?
A pink cardigan from the Vintage Collection of Vogue Knitting, the Secret Agenda green ribbed sweater from Knit Wit, the X-back ribbon tank from knitty.com and a pair of socks. It is the beginning of a 3 day weekend though. I'll probably have 2-3 more projects cast-on by the end of the week.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
Haven’t ventured into that territory yet. I think I may have missed my window.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I love circular Addi turbos and straight Brittanys. Or needles with cool ends on them!
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
See 19. I probably like wooden better than aluminium, but for sweaters I feel the need for speed.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yep. In the market for some cool new patterns too. Any ideas?
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mom first when I was about 9, then again 2 years ago from a co-worker. I believe I wrote about this in my “profile” section, if you’re intrigued and want to learn more…come on, you know you’re intrigued! This story has my mom and a co-worker in it!
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 3 months. Last week I just finished the year-old Christmas-turned-May-birthday present for my Grandma. Sorry Grandma!
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Does Napoleon Dynamite count as an animated character? I grew up in Wyoming on a ranch near Yellowstone Park so as far as animals go it’s all about bison. They have power in their eyes. On another note, I hear you can knit them now—buffalo scarf anyone?
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving—relaxed and family-filled. Always lots of time for knitting. All the positives of Christmas without the stress.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
You mean besides yarn? Needles? Pattern books? Blogs to stalk? I’m a bit single minded these days.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None yet but I sure do need to get on the Interweave Knits bandwagon.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I am weak when it comes to books. I buy. Immediately. I just got Loop-d-Loop--it’s fantastic. Most of my books are very recent though…they’ve all been published within the last 2 years, since I started knitting. The only older one is Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Knitting Without Tears. I would like to get some new sock books or sock patterns. Did I already mention that??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Vickery! I've been manically checking my e-mail for the last few days so that I would find out who I've been matched with for Secret Pal 5, and today was the day that I heard that it was you. I already have some great (I hope) ideas from reading your blog and your SP5 list, so I'm looking forward to this. I hope you are, too!

Secret Pal

VickeryKnits said...

Yay! I'm so excited! (And I just can't hide it!)